Current:Home > StocksFrench serial killer's widow, Monique Olivier, convicted for her part in murders -Capitatum
French serial killer's widow, Monique Olivier, convicted for her part in murders
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:24:29
Monique Olivier, the widow of a French serial killer known as the "Ogre of the Ardennes," was found guilty Tuesday for her part in the rape and murder of two young women and the disappearance of a 9-year-old girl, the BBC reported.
Earlier this month, Olivier admitted she was was "bait" in the 1990 rape and murder of British student Joanna Parrish by Olivier's former husband. She was also convicted in connection with the killing of 18-year-old Marie-Angele Domece in 1988 and the disappearance of 9-year-old Estelle Mouzin in 2003.
The 75-year-old woman, who's already serving a life sentence issued in 2008, is now facing a second life sentence, with a minimum term of 20 years, according to the BBC. She'd previously been convicted for her role in four murders and a rape committed by her husband.
Olivier was married to Michel Fourniret, who was charged with abduction, rape and murder in the cases but died in 2021, at 79, before he could be brought to trial.
Before his death, Fourniret said of Domece and Parrish in 2018: "I am the only one responsible for their fates... If those people had not crossed my path, they would still be alive."
Olivier, when confronted during trial with images of Parrish's swollen face after her body was pulled from the river Yonne, said: "It's because of me she's gone, it's unforgivable."
She described herself as a dog during cross-examination.
"I was never anything but the dog that must obey" its master," Olivier said.
She asked for forgiveness before the jury began its deliberations, according to the BBC.
"I regret everything I did and I ask for forgiveness from the families of the victims, while knowing that it is unforgivable," she said.
For 16 years, the couple worked together to abduct and murder at least eight girls and young women, the BBC reported. They were finally stopped in 2003, when a 13-year-old girl Fourniret was trying to kidnap managed to escape, leading to his and Olivier's arrest.
The BBC reported that Fourniret's known victims —beyond Parrish, Domece and Mouzin— were Isabelle Laville, Fabienne Leroy, Jeanne-Marie Desramault, Elisabeth Brichet, Natacha Danais, Celine Saison, Mananya Thumphong and Farida Hammiche. All of Fourniret's victims —most of whom were raped— were shot, strangled or stabbed to death, the BBC reported. Most were killed in the Ardennes region of northern France and in Belgium.
Both Fourniret and Olivier were extradited to France for trial; six of the victims were French citizens.
veryGood! (5141)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Billy Ray Cyrus Files for Temporary Restraining Order Against Ex Firerose Amid Divorce
- 15-year-old girl shot to death hours before her middle school graduation, authorities say
- Dallas star Luka Doncic following footsteps of LeBron, MJ, Olajuwon with familiar lesson
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- 2024 College World Series live: Updates, score and more for Florida vs. NC State
- How hunters are helping researchers track the spread of tick-borne diseases
- Sunscreen recall: Suntegrity issues skin foundation recall for mold concerns
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Victims’ advocate Miriam Shehane dies at age 91
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Get free iced coffee from Whataburger in honor of the summer solstice: Here's what to know
- Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark downplay impact of controversial flagrant foul
- 'Partners in crime:' Boston Celtics stud duo proves doubters wrong en route to NBA title
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Middle of the Night' review: Childhood disappearance, grief haunt Riley Sager's new book
- HBO's 'Hard Knocks' to feature entire NFL division for first time, will follow AFC North race
- Israeli leader dissolves war cabinet after political rival walks out, citing lack of plan for Gaza's future
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
NFL training camp dates 2024: When all 32 teams start their schedule
Are banks, post offices, UPS and FedEx open on Juneteenth 2024? Here's what to know
Justin Timberlake arrested on DWI charges in the Hamptons, reports say
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
National Finals Rodeo to remain in Las Vegas through 2035
Biofuel groups envision ethanol-powered jets. But fueling the effort has not been easy
Celtics center Kristaps Porzingis available to play for Game 5 of NBA Finals against Mavericks